The Nigeria Police Force has announced the arrest of 7 bank robbers including serving and dismissed soldiers responsible for bullion van robbery in Ebonyi State.
The robbery resulted in the killing of 4 police personnel.
Recovered during the arrest were 12 undetonated improvise explosives, 1 GPMG, 6 rifles, 51 AK 47 magazines, 1,620 ammunition, 2 robbed vehicles, breaking implements and charms.
The attack on a bullion van in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, on 29th July, 2020, by bank robbers, led to the death of four (4) police officers, leaving others injured.
During serious manhunt by IRT detectives with technical intelligence support from TIU, one Alfred Robinson, ‘M’, 45 yrs of age, Ijaw by tribe and a native of Gelegele Town in Ovia North LGA of Edo State on 1/8/2020 in Asaba Delta State was arrested and subsequently recovered the undermentioned items viz:-
1) Toyota 4 Runner Jeep with Reg. no AAA 561 FV ( Nassarawa State) snatched alongside others for the purpose of this operation containing:-
2) one GPMG riffle with one hundred and fifty-three (153) rounds of lives ammunitions.
3) five (5) AK 47 riffles with one thousand four hundred and two(1402) rounds of lives ammunitions
4) one K2 rifle with a loaded magazine
5) fifty-one (51) AK 47 magazines
The rifles s/numbers are as follows:-
- K2…. 07013647
- AK 47…. 402701
- AK 47….. 60740
- AK 47……35-6835
- AK 47……21149, and,
- one ak47 without number.
During the intensive follow-up, 6 more gang members were arrested by IRT detectives within 24hrs.
The gang members arrested in the follow-up are as follows:
2) Sunday Soyemu aka Sunny ‘M’ , 46yrs of age, an Ijaw by tribe and a native of Alegnene in Ekeremor LGA of Bayelsa State.
3) 03NA/53/088 Sgt Ayeni Samuel ‘M’ 43yrs a serving soldier currently attached to Command Day Sec Sch Nigeria Army Cantonment Ikeja Lagos, a native of Illesha Town in Illesha South LGA of Osun State.
4) 03NA / 53 Cpl Emeka Harrison ‘M’ .33yrs, a dismissed soldier who until his dismissal was attached to 7 Div Garrison, Maiduguri Borno State. He’s a native of Nsukka in Nsukka East LGA of Enugu State; dismissed in the year 2015.
5) Emeka Illo ‘M’ 37yrs. (the sponsor), a native of Igwachi Community in Orji River LGA of Enugu State, resident at FH Estate, Kubwa FCT.
6) Abuchi Elijah aka “Chime D Mosquito” ‘m’, 27yrs, (informant to the Abakaliki/Awka recharge card robbery), a native of Isialangwa in Isialangwa LGA of Abia State; resident at Bonsac area of Asaba Delta State, and,
7) Ibanifiroi Ekiene ‘M’, 38yrs, an Ijaw by tribe, a native of Tombia Community in Dedema LGA of Rivers State.
Recovered from the 6 hoodlums arrested on 2/8/20202 who came from the various axis of the South-South/South East with intent to perfect a planned intended bank robbery in Asaba this week include a Lexus 350 Jeep with Reg No AGL 267 FN ( Lagos ) containing the following items:-
- one hundred and thirty-six (136) rounds of K2 ammunitions
- five (5) K2 magazines
- twelve (12) locally made bomb (unexploded)
- one KPT power tool 230mm angle grinder
- one (1) big hammer
- one (1) small hammer
- one (1) big cutter
- four (4) different prepared charms.
All suspects upon interrogation confessed to the bullion van robbery in Ebonyi State where 4 policemen were killed with many other armed robberies/kidnappings across the South East and South-South.
Suspects also confessed that 4 out of the rifles recovered belongs to the policemen they killed during the bullion van robbery in Ebonyi State.
Suspects are assisting police to arrest their remaining gang members.