21 C
Abuja
Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Fresh bomb attack kills two US soldiers, injures others

Must Read

Ignatius Odunukwe: Why we killed Fireman Generators’ owner – Suspects confess

Bob Ibeaji, 42, kingpin of a four-man gang that killed Mr. Ignatius Odunukwe on Tuesday, said that the...

Coronavirus: All you need to know about new deadly virus

Coronavirus, a new deadly virus, which can spread between humans, has started claiming lives. First detected in Wuhan,...

Buhari reacts to death of former Supreme Court Judge, Wali

President Muhammadu Buhari has condoled with justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria and National Judicial Council over...
Aniya Ayeni
Truth Stands, even if there be no public support. It is self-sustained. ~ Mahatma Gandhi.

A roadside bomb has killed two United States soldiers and two others wounded in Afghanistan’s southern province of Kandahar.

The NATO-led Resolute Support Mission revealed in a statement on Saturday.

The Taliban claimed the attack that killed the service members who were conducting operations on Saturday when their armoured vehicle hit an improvised explosive device.

In a tweet, a spokesman of the group said a vehicle of “American invaders” was hit near Kandahar airport, claiming that the armoured vehicle was destroyed and all on board were killed.

Last year, 20 US service members died in Afghanistan in combat-related incidents.

NATO Resolute Support Mission said in a statement, “In accordance with US Department of Defense policy, the names of the service members killed in action will be withheld until 24 hours after notification of next of kin is complete.”

A senior Afghan military official in Kandahar said the incident took place in the district of Dand.

There are currently approximately 12,000 US soldiers stationed in Afghanistan, down from a peak of roughly 100,000 in 2011.

Almost 8,000 are participating in NATO’s Resolute Support training and assistance mission – making up close to half its overall contingent.

The US and the Taliban have held talks on and off for two years in an effort to find a political solution to the 18-year war, Al Jazeera reports.

DailyPost

Latest News

Ignatius Odunukwe: Why we killed Fireman Generators’ owner – Suspects confess

Bob Ibeaji, 42, kingpin of a four-man gang that killed Mr. Ignatius Odunukwe on Tuesday, said that the...

Coronavirus: All you need to know about new deadly virus

Coronavirus, a new deadly virus, which can spread between humans, has started claiming lives. First detected in Wuhan, China, in mid-December, the virus...

Buhari reacts to death of former Supreme Court Judge, Wali

President Muhammadu Buhari has condoled with justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria and National Judicial Council over the death of Justice Abubakar...

Osinbajo reveals Nigeria’s plan with Iran, Turkey, others

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo says Nigeria will work closely with other countries who share similar socio-economic objectives in order to increase economic opportunities...

Iran, Canada in fresh face-off over Ukrainian airliner shot down

Iran said it had asked the U.S. and French authorities for equipment to download information from black boxes on a downed Ukrainian airliner....